the lawyer writer

sometimes legal                     sometimes literary                     sometimes not

Sunday, March 13, 2005

On Couplehood, Part II



A brief entry, today, which I'm sure you all are thankful for. But I discovered this nerve.com essay on Myrna Loy which says everything I was trying to say in my entry "On Couplehood"--only much, much better. And I'm not just saying that because the essay ends with a little ode to the charms of my beloved Angelina. Anyway, if you haven't seen a Thin Man movie or read Dashiell Hammett, start now. Is it any wonder that real-life marriages look boring after screwball comedies like these?

(Full disclosure: Myrna was better at film marriages than real ones; she was married four times and admitted that her on-screen marriage to William Powell was probably most successful. But I refuse to lose hope :)

1 Comments:

Blogger James Behrens, OCSO said...

I love the way you write. I used to live in Montclair - not far from you - and moved here twelve years ago. I used to work for a woman lawyer many years ago....could write a book about that. She lacked so much of what you have - a sense of humor, resiliency, patience and no small dose of wisdom....

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home