the lawyer writer

sometimes legal                     sometimes literary                     sometimes not

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Places of Worship

Since I don't really believe in organized religion, churches and temples aren't much used to me. There's only one place to go when I feel bad, and that's the bookstore.

It used to be the library, when I was young, but that's because we had a great community library within walking distance. Small but that was deceiving. I started like other kids--picture books and fairy tales, books on mythology, dinosaurs, astronomy, dogs, the sea. The biggest step was books without pictures--Dahl and Alcott and L'Engle. Some were quality (Agatha Christie, canon. Shakespeare. Fitzgerald. Poe). Some were contraband (Judith Krantz. Seventeen magazine. Period romance novels). Some were forgettable (Mass-market science fiction. Books on makeup and fashion. Silly teenage novels). Reading made me antisocial, and my parents put a cap on how many books I could get. This had the desired effect of turning me into a book thief. (I got caught and did my time). When I think of the books I read, I imagine the layout of the library, aisle by aisle. I knew where to find biographies of queens and travel guides and all the film books. I knew the mystery section by heart.

The biggest disappointment is that I haven't found a library like it since. People rave about the bloody New York Public Library system, but I couldn't find a single Wodehouse or Dickens in my local branch (it does, of course, have the collected works of Danielle Steel). Going to the big branch on 42nd street was equally disappointing--I liked the lions, but who wants to order a book like a sandwich at the deli? What ever happened to browsing? There's no magic in these libraries--you can't browse around and discover a new interest, a hidden treasure.

So now, it's bookstores. The ideal bookstore would be a forgotten, fusty old place somewhere on a side street, with a deceptively tiny entrance that lead to a labyrinth of well-organized aisles. (This automatically rules The Strand out--at least the one on 12th street). The old guy behind the counter would barely look up from his Lermontov, but if I asked him where I could find Steppenwolf, he would know that I was talking about Hesse, not "Born to Be Wild." Used books on esoteric subjects would be piled up in the front. It would be a place of worship.

Unfortunately, those little bookstores are never big enough to feed my appetite, and they never seem organized enough to find what I'm looking for. I try to buy books there, but twice a week I go to Barnes and Noble or Borders--crammed with tourists and books by hacks--just to wander around. Not a chapel, but possibly a sanctuary.

When I became a lawyer, I saw all those expensive, well-bound books, matching sets, lining even the most illiterate lawyers's bookshelves, I was excited. But opening them just lead to statute after statute, case after case, procedure after procedure. Good for law, terrible for reading. For a person who lived for books, it was brutally hard for me to do research in the library--they didn't even seem like books, but extended pamphlets or manuals. (Oh, hell, let's be dramatic (but accurate)--they were positively sacrilegious). I stuck with the computer; it seemed like that was where legal research belonged.

But you know what they say about old habits. When the job got bad, I always ran to the firm library to hide. The windows overlooked the Statue of Liberty, and when the sun hit the water, I was sure that there had to be better libraries than this one to spend my time in.

And there were.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on lemon laws, trying to find information in reguards to any new lemon laws and

read your site. Although not exactly what I needed it caught my attention. Many people have problems and any

new lemon laws laws may not help them the way they expect. Anyway thanks for the read.

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking for information on state lemon law and it's amazing how much junk there is out here and

difficult to find the good stuff. Well searching for state lemon law, I came accross your site, not exactly what I

was looking for, but what a read. Thanks.

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on state lemon law, trying to find information in reguards to any new lemon laws and

read your site. Although not exactly what I needed it caught my attention. Many people have problems and any

new state lemon law laws may not help them the way they expect. Anyway thanks for the read.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After spending considerable time searching for indiana lemon law, I would like to say thanks for the post. A indiana lemon law isn't always easy to find quality information for. Thanks again.

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on ny lemon law, trying to find information in reguards to any new lemon laws and

read your site. Although not exactly what I needed it caught my attention. Many people have problems and any

new ny lemon law laws may not help them the way they expect. Anyway thanks for the read.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

Plenty of Wodehouse in my New Jersey county library :)

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home