the lawyer writer

sometimes legal                     sometimes literary                     sometimes not

Friday, October 14, 2005

Pop Culture Might Pay My Bills

So today I auditioned for a role on a new Bravo series called Dishing. David, my boss at my essay job called me and told me he'd recommended me for the part. The casting director is a good friend of his, and he recommended Ted Allen, who is on Queer Eye For the Straight Guy. So she took him pretty seriously and voila! I am auditioning to be a talk show host. I don't know anything about the show, other than it's a multi-host, gay-friendly show about entertainment, pop culture, media, etc, described as The View meets Real Time With Bill Maher meets Talk Soup. I like the last two shows, so I guess that's something.

The audition went thusly. I chatted with a very nice man about Tom and Katie ( called it the Manchurian Pregnancy, which they liked, but fumbled a joke about the fetus getting a two-picture movie deal), Daniel Craig becoming Bond (Yes! Quoted earlier post on Steve McQueen reference), chatted about the evil that is Star Jones, my embarassing addiction to my DVR, etc. Most importantly, I talked about my embarassing reality television addiction (The Surreal Life, Filthy Rich Cattle Drive, any monstrosity that cable will throw my way)...All that background noise while I'm typing might actually get me a job and pay my bills!

The audition seemed to go very quickly. Perhaps I shouldn't have worn the fishnets. Or perhaps it went quickly because time flies when I yak my head off about this stuff. But callbacks are next week.

Interestingly, this also coincides with the pop culture themes in Wicked Women. My editor and I both agree that it should be both contemporary and very pop culture-y, which is really exciting, because I was afraid she wouldn't like the pop culture part. So if I do this show and then the book comes out....(I am rubbing my hands with glee. I so rarely feel glee.) Of course, this is problematic because callbacks are next week and I'm supposed to go to California then, but we'll see....

As I've always said, television can be good for you...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, it's Mary's sister. dunno if she mentioned to you i started blogging, so checked out your site too. we write opposite blogs- you are infrequent but thorough, well thought out and thematic, while i am frequent, brief and all over the place. and mine is in Hungarian, which is pretty opposite to yours, too.
thought you might like the typewriter motif you can see and download with a right click from the october 20th entry in http://geo.freeblog.hu. the text on the typewriter changes every 30 seconds- hit F5 to refresh.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! The information and Internet marketing product evaluations that you provide are great for beginner webmasters.

Now, I have a related starting an online business site/blog. It pretty much covers starting an online business related stuff. In addition, I supply the secrets that I used to make $12,124 from Google Adsense last month.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
stockbroker job
It pretty much covers stockbroker job related stuff.
Best regards!

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, me.I was just searching blogs,and I found your site! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
nose job Texas
It covers nose job Texas related stuff.
All the best!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finishing second in the dominatrix phone sex Olympics gets you silver. dominatrix phone sex

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was not sure to expect when I visited your blog. Well I think the information on this blog is great. I have my own blog and I wish I got half as many constructive comments as your blog does. Anyways, I am a teacher at a University and I am always doing research on various topics. This weeks topic relates 100% to your blog. I already bookmarked you for future use. If you want to exchange information I will leave my link at the bottom of this. If you don�t mind I will add my 2 cents to this blog topic once in awhile. Although most of the time I just like to read and see what other people�s thoughts are! (hey I am a teacher!)
Thanks again!illinois home owner insurance.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm searching for information on how to shoot and edit videos for a business idea, when I came upon your blog.This is a great blog you have.
Anyway the only place I've found for my business idea is here digital video editing programs. They have a great course on DVD's but it's little expensive for me at the moment.
I'm definitely going to bookmark you and come back

Regards
Alan

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home