the lawyer writer

sometimes legal                     sometimes literary                     sometimes not

Saturday, January 01, 2005

welcome

Well the new year is upon us, and I have chosen to celebrate by...starting a blog. Up until now, a blog just seemed like the last bastion of the self-involved, and I haven't had much interest in them. I've always thought that a blog should a)be funny or b)have a theme or c)be fiercely educational or interesting, like my cousin's siva's blog, here: www.sivacracy.net. Of course, now I have one. Why? I like having something that forces me to write everyday.

An introduction to me: yes, I am a lawyer. yes, I am a writer. My first book (with a major publisher, anyway) is The Street Law Handbook: Surviving Sex, Drugs and Petty Crime (Bloomsbury, November 2004). Having mentioned my book, I assume that you are all going to run out and immediately buy it. That is what happens, isn't it? Well, maybe just check out the website then: www.streetlawhandbook.com

So, following my own guidelines, this blog does indeed have a theme. I am an attorney-turned-writer, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there are many of us out there. Or many who would like to leave the hallowed, hollow profession of law to enter the impoverished, absurd life of writer. So basically, I'm writing about my oddball career choices. Hopefully it will be funny, but as for fiercely educational, well, we'll see.

My current hit list:

The Bohemian Manifesto by Laren Stover: a beautiful little book about living on the outskirts of the mainstream. Makes me feel normal. And she's a sweetheart.

London Fields by Martin Amis: I bought this book years ago because of the name of the lead character, Nicola Six. When I went to Disneyland as a kid, I never found a "Neeraja" coffee mug or license plate or key chain. I did see a couple Nicola's, and wished that was my name. I like Neeraja now, but I still use Nicola Six when I make reservations. Buy it for Nicola the femme fatale, and for all those nights you wished for a nice local British pub, where you could play darts, sip Guinness and contemplate alternative realities.

"Bring the Pain"
by Method Man and The Chemical Brothers. The best mash-up ever.

The Essential Neruda: Pablo Neruda writes like most people dream.

Shopping in Chinatown
: silk duvet covers, little kimonos, sandalwood oil--you can't get this stuff anywhere else.

Lemony Snicket's books (canon): Harry Potter meets the Addams Family. But did the movie have to have Jim Carrey? And why wasn't Tim Burton directing?

Anonymous Lawyer Blog. Very funny blog from a faux law-firm partner. Actually written by a law student, but weirdly accurate. Check it out here.

Rediscovering Old Music: When the alternative music scene was still new. Fishbone, Sonic Youth, the Cramps, Parliament, Gang of Four, the Stooges, Digital Underground, Jane's Addiction, Cypress Hill. Why is it that the music you listened to in high school is always the coolest?

That's it for now. Join me tomorrow for more adventures: The Odd Job, The Street Law Handbook in the New York Times Book Review, How To Dye Your Hair Blue and Why I No Longer Practice Law Even After That Very Expensive Degree.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And on a lighter note than pure jury trial , check out the funniest trial transcript ever! If it's not serious enough of a topic, well, just pretend it's the Brit's version of jury trial !

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Erectile dysfunction pills said...

nice blog .thanks for sharing an informative blog like this ..

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Maqui Berry Superfruit said...

I just have to say that you have done a very good job and it will help people a lot.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Prosolution pills review said...

Many who would like to leave the hallowed, hollow profession of law to enter the impoverished..

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Best stop hair growth product said...

This was presented very clearly that everyone can understand this.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous hcg buy online said...

I have a website about overcoming many kinds of addictions and it is very informative. HCG Blue Drops, the Faster and Natural way to lose weight...

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Trichozed prevent hair loss pills said...

Anonymous surprise us . Very post .

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Compare prevent premature ejaculation pills said...

Many who would like to leave the hallowed, hollow profession of law to enter the impoverished, absurd life of writer.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Increase low sex drive in women said...

Many who would like to leave the hallowed, hollow profession of law to enter the impoverished, absurd life of writer.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Increase low sex drive in women said...

The Street Law Handbook in the New York Times Book Review, How To Dye Your Hair Blue and Why I No Longer Practice Law Even After That Very Expensive Degree.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Recumbent exercise bike reviews said...

Many who would like to leave the hallowed, hollow profession of law to enter the impoverished. This seems to be ok

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Celebrity Gossip said...

Many many thanks for sharing this information with us. I want to congratulate you because you are doing a great job here.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Plaque attack for dogs said...

All lawyers are liars in my oppinion and no one should really trust them. They use you to take your money all the time.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Compare prevent premature ejaculation pills said...

This blog is just a nice attempt to serve people. Great job done.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home